Sunday, August 24, 2014

STGCC 2014: Bicepstuous Booths #4 - Introducing Alan Bay And His SmallGuy Doodles


There's one thing that Red Dot Diva absolutely loves about STGCC. It is a special event that lures local and regional artists out of the cubi-holes which they tend to hide in.

During the two-day convention (and sometimes a few weeks prior), Red Dot Diva will get to know a few more talented people that she has not met before. Whenever she walks down Artist Alley at STGCC, it feels like it's one huge happy block party! So much fun!

This year, she noticed an adorable and relatable cartoon character called "Small Guy" :) (That's mainly because Red Dot Diva is small too!?) The local artist who created "Small Guy" is Alan Bay, who has worked in the gaming industry previously where he employed his skills in 2D concept boarding and 3D modelling. 

Alan is currently working on his next comic book within his own Smallguydoodle imprint. His first published comic book called "Atlas" was a collaboration with Media Development Authority of Singapore (MDA) and ChuangYi Publishing. (BTW peeps, one can purchase "Atlas" over this portal - http://fantasticfox.org/ebookdetail/188).

Together with booth buddy and fellow artist Muhammad Firman, Alan can be found flexing his small but imaginative artistic biceps at Booth #AA36 during STGCC.

Here's a quickie Q&A with Alan Bay:

Red Dot Diva: Please introduce yourself for the benefit of those who are not yet familiar with you 
Alan: Hi all, I am Alan, an illustrator and comic artist. Previously I was a video game artist and worked on titles such as "Romance of Three Kingdom Online", "TMNT: Reshelled", "Assassin's Creeds" and "Ghost Recon 2". 

"Ten: The Art of Smallguy"
Red Dot Diva: What will you be exhibiting at this year's STGCC? 
Alan: I will be promoting my latest art book, "TEN: The Art of Smallguy" at STGCC. This is a collection and journal of my previous artwork. It will be bundled with a mini sketchbook that will be exclusive to the event! My Original sketches will be up for sale too.
 

Red Dot Diva: What is your art style and what do you think its unique points are?
Alan: My art style is a fusion of both Manga and Western style as I enjoy both kind of artwork. I like to emphasize on line art to display the dynamic and action. I use warmer color often for a lively feel too. I like video games a lot so I like to design in a video game approach. 

Red Dot Diva: Who are you artistic heroes? And how do they influence your own artwork? 
Alan: There are many artists that influenced my artwork as I try to imitate their way of using color, composition and design. My favorite artists includes Akira Toriyama, Rumiko Takahashi, Masakazu Katsura, Tetsuya Nomura, Ma Wing-shing, Joe Madureira, Adam Hughes, Humberto Ramos. 

Diva loves Alan's eye-catching rendition of Hellboy

Red Dot Diva: Do you think there's too much competition in the graphic novels locally? 
Alan: I don't think there are too much competition, on the contrary, I think there isn't a proper platform for artists to post and share their work, and for readers to buy and download. There is also a lack of collaborations between artists too. I wish I will have the chance to work with more local artists to create new fusion of art and creativity.

From the tale "Chinese Ghost Story"

So, dear creatives out there -- here's a chance to synergize some positive artistic energy with an experienced and eager local artist who is constantly aiming "to deliver messages universally" through his art! Don't miss out on checking out Alan's vibrant works of art at booth #AA36!

Awwwww... Smallguy!


No comments:

Post a Comment