Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2019 - Q&A With Thai Award-Winning Manga Artist Prema-Ja

Thai artist and animator Prema Jatukanyaprateep - more commonly known by her pen name Prema-Ja - will be coming to Red Dot Island this December as one of the guests of popculture convention, Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2019.

In 2014, BOKBIG, her manga about a boy and his mischievous pet dog, beat 256 entries and won the 2014 Gold Award at the International Manga Award in Japan.

Prema-Ja's cheerful, colourful and fun artwork has been featured in children's books as well. Go take a look at her her social media accounts, where she has posted an imaginative take on Inktober with a series of wonderful mermaid drawings, and you will see what Red Dot Diva is talking about!

Red Dot Diva: What got you interested and passionate about animation art?
Prema-Ja: I think it is about the storytelling. When start working on my art projects - beside beautiful pictures, I try to focus on the story in the work. And I love telling a story so the animation art and also comic art serves my intention.

Red Dot Diva: Who are your favourite artists, and why?
Prema-Ja: Amano Yoshitaka, a Japanese artist. His style is unique. The ambiance in his work, mysterious and brimming with fantasy, fascinates me. Another one is Beatrix Potter, an English artist. I love how she draws humanoid animals characters. They are so attractive.



Red Dot Diva: Which animation movies or shows made you go... "Wow!!"? Did you watch them over and over again to learn what made these shows special?
Prema-Ja: “Up” an animated feature film directed by Pete Docter (Pixar Animation). I remember the first time I watched it was French dubbed. Even though I was not able to understand the language, the animation made me cry a lot from the beginning until the end of the movie. The story is so touching, with a beautiful feeling.

Red Dot Diva: Where did you get your ideas for BokBig?
Prema-Ja: In the illustration class when I was at university. There was an assignment to make a comic about ourselves. So I picked up the story of me and my dog. His name was Bokbig.

Red Dot Diva: What were your first feelings and thoughts when you won the Gold Award at the 7th International MANGA Award for Bokbig?
Prema-Ja: It was unbelievable. I never thought I would win this international award. I felt I have achieved one goal of my dreams.

Red Dot Diva: Are there any projects which you wish you could do?
Prema-Ja: Yes, a comic about my cats. Now I am a mother of 3 cats.

Red Dot Diva: We are eager to meet you at Singapore Comic Con. Let us know what we can expect when we say hi to you at your booth.
Prema-Ja: It will be my first time as a guest artist in Singapore. Actually, the first time in foreign country. I am so excited. My English is not very good, but please feel free to stop by and say Hello. I will bring some prints and zines there. The details will be updated nearly the date of the event on my twitter account. See you there!


---------------

RELATED SGCC 2019 ARTICLES

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2019 - Q&A with Creative Hong Kong-based Artist Tik Ka

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2019 - Artist Alley Booth Highlight on Malaysian Artist Alan Quah

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2019 - Q&A With Artist Extraordinaire David Mack

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2019 - David Mack Returns, Lineup Includes Jim Mahfood, John Layman, Tik Ka and Koh Hong Teng

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2019: More Guests Announced - Sarah Andersen, Fishball, Donny Cates and Yasmine Putri 

Singapore Comic Con 2019 - Livio Ramondelli, Joey Spiotto, Creees, Prema-Ja and Cosplayer Jin Join the Guest List

Singapore Comic Con 2019 Announces Greg Capullo, Jock and Tara McPherson as Guests, But No More VIP Tickets! 

Rebranded Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) Shifts Dates to 7 & 8 Dec 2019!






No comments:

Post a Comment