Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 Artist Highlight - Digital Artist OSHred's Dark Fantasy Works Is A Sumptuous Blood Bath


Local comic book store Pink Ponk Comics returns to this year's Singapore Comic Convention (SGCC) with a bang. They have invited notable comic book artists to grace their booth at L1-AA14 - 25. During the weekend of 9 and 10 December 2023, comic book fans will be able to meet overseas artists OSHRed, Emma Wu, Maria Sanapo, Marco Santucci and Ivan Tao as well as well as artists from our local community like Johnny Lau, creator of Mr Kiasu, Ye Zhen, James Leong, Collin Yap, Kang Jing (Chiral Comics) and Shahril Azizi - just to name a few.

While admiring the artwork of these special guests, Red Dot Diva is especially attracted to the dark fantasy, gothy style of Philippines-based digital artist and illustrator OSHred (S. Red Amparo). Red Dot Diva is quite the macabre soul, you see. OSHred has mentioned that she loves the colour blue, and that is so evident with her liberal use of indigo hues in her recent portfolio. It's absolutely ravishing.

Besides variant comic book covers for titles such as W0RLDTR33, Good Boy, Vampirella, and Red Sonja, OSHred has drawn book covers and album covers for independent creatives. To get to know her a little better, Red Dot Diva managed to catch OSHred for a quick interview:

Red Dot Diva: Hello OSHred! Your art is simply sumptuous. Did you start drawing when you were very young, like many other artists out there?
OSHred: I've loved drawing ever since I was a kid and spent a lot of time copying from manga, children's books, and drawing the Powerpuff Girls. I discovered digital art by drawing in MS Paint on my mom's laptop using a mouse. I've been doing digital art for about 14 years now and I take a great deal of enjoyment in composing my artworks and connecting with other artists online.

Red Dot Diva: I read in one of your sites that you graduated from 3dsense Media School in Singapore? What was the experience like?
OSHred: I graduated from 3dsense Media School in Singapore in 2017 from their 1-year diploma course in digital illustration and concept art. It's frequently described as an "intense" course and they truly do mean it. My days were jam-packed with studies, exercises, lectures, and illustration homework. My sketchbooks were filled with figure drawings, skeletons, and musculature studies. We studied fundamentals such as perspective, anatomy, light and colour, as well as more advanced subjects such as character, creature, and environment design. I was able to connect with likeminded people who were passionate about art and some of them are still my friends to this day. I learned a lot from the instructors and I had the opportunity to study under Artgerm, whose work I'd admired since I was a young teen. I'm certain that studying at 3dsense significantly altered the trajectory of my art journey.

Red Dot Diva: I am most interested to know what inspires your art style. Which artists’ work have influenced your style?
OSHred: Artgerm inevitably had a great deal of influence on my art. Some other artists whose works inform my current style are Phil Hale, James Jean, Dave McKean, and João Ruas. I also draw a lot of inspiration from horror & psychological thriller films; I enjoy the work of directors such as Park Chan-wook, Robert Eggers, Alejandro Jodorowsky, and the Cronenbergs. In my free time, I also enjoy consuming dark media in various forms (film, books, music, manga) all of which help inform my work.

Red Dot Diva: I see your love for the macabre, but mostly with a cutesy spin to it. Do you love visiting actual physical sites that are macabre, like gothic cemeteries and catacombs? Some of these historical sites have beautiful sculptures and art.
OSHred: I have been lucky enough to visit places in Europe and the Middle East (such as France, Germany, Egypt, Turkey, to name a few) where I spent some time observing very old churches and surrounded by very dead things. There is a lot of beautiful architecture out there which take on a frightening air because of time and dust. I think because of the religious nature of these trips, the effect is that some of my artwork has a subtly blasphemous flavour (although when actually visiting, I am always respectful of these sites). That said, the most macabre places I visit are frequently in my own head and in the heads of other people.

Red Dot Diva: Which kind of supernatural creature or monster do you love drawing? And why?
OSHred: My favourite monster to draw is the human being. :) But to answer more seriously, I love drawing vampires (which is basically human-shaped anyway). I read Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles when I was a kid, which I think had an effect on my preferences. A few years ago I was playing a decent amount of Vampire: The Masquerade, so I drew a lot of art of my vampire character, as well as the characters of others. Vampires are easy because if you add a splash of blood to any character, you can basically get away with saying they're a vampire.
Red Dot Diva: I get ya. Vampires are also my thing!

Red Dot Diva: How did you become the cover artist for W0rldtr33 and Source point’s Good Boy? Do you have any tips on how artists can get noticed by publishing companies?
OSHred: I hesitate to give advice on getting hired, because what worked for me might not work for others, and I don't know how applicable the advice will be in a few years considering how fast our industry tends to change. That said, as embarrassing as it may be, don't underestimate the power of networking. I was lucky enough to be noticed by a comic retailer through social media (Instagram specifically), who saw that I was connected with Artgerm and he apparently requested that Stan help establish communication between the two of us. Stan was kind enough to do so, which led to me getting hired for my first variant covers for comic retailers. I like to think it was not one element, but many, that led to me getting hired and continues to help me get hired: I put effort into creating decent quality work with a consistent, recognizable style, as well as maintaining a solid presence on social media and connecting with artists I admire. Maintaining good relationships with current clients also makes them more likely to recommend me to others, and few things are more effective than word of mouth.

Red Dot Diva: Is this the first time participating at Comic conventions in Singapore? Please let us know what can we look forward to, along with your appearance in this year's SGCC.
OSHRed: Yes, this is my first time participating in a comic con in Singapore. I've attended a couple for fun in the past, but it will be my first time tabling. I'll be offering signatures and remarques, dropping off some pre-convention commissions, as well as selling prints of both my original artworks and more popular fanarts. If you are friendly and vaccinated, I might provide hugs (free of charge).

Red Dot Diva: That sounds like a plan! See you soon at the convention!.


You can check out more of OSHred's artwork at her DeviantArt page!

----------------------------

RELATED SINGAPORE COMIC CON (SGCC) 2023 ARTICLES

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 Booth Highlight - This One Is For the D&D Dice Gobbos (Ammybunny / Sambal and Mages)

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 Artist Highlight - Nathelie Yong's Emo Trash & Etc! Is A 90's Pop-Punk Music Fan's Dream Booth

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 Booth Highlight - Hailing All Transformer Fans To Hasbro's Cybertron Fest

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 Artist Highlight - Collect 'Em All From Pokémon Fanart Illustrators Abz Art and Trainer K

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 Artist Highlight - Wonder At Takahan Tan's Captivating Toy Photography

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 Artist Highlight - Discovering Artistry: Allen Erie (Andrea Rosaline)

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 - Legendary Comic Book Creators Stan Sakai and Julie Sakai Are Heading To Singapore!

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 - Comic Book Guests Galore Including Peach Momoko, Chang Sheng, Martin Simmonds, Ario Anindito and More!

Singapore Comic Con 2023 (SGCC) - Tickets Are Available Right Now!


----------------------------

If you enjoy Red Dot Diva's content, feel free to help her efforts going by showing your support through ko-fi. Thank you!




No comments:

Post a Comment