Sunday, November 12, 2023

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 Artist Highlight - Discovering Artistry: Allen Erie (Andrea Rosaline)


The Singapore Comic Convention (SGCC) may feature a smorgasbord of activities, like opportunities to meet esteemed comic book creators, a cosplay competition, stage activities and talks by industry professionals. However, Red Dot Diva thinks the soul of SGCC lies in the talented creators at Artist Alley.

It has been a Red Dot Diva blog tradition to interview a selected bunch of creatives who will be boothing at SGCC's Artist Alley. This year, Red Dot Diva's friend Edward helps to kick off this year's slate of interviews with a chat with Canadian freelance illustrator Allen Erie (Andrea Rosaline). Read on to check it out!

----------------------------

Like any other kiasu attendee, I religiously combed through the exhibitor list and stumbled upon a treasure trove of creativity that left me utterly spellbound. The moment my eyes laid on Scaramouche, I knew I was doomed. As I scrolled through her entire IG, her fanart of mobile titles Genshin Impact and Honkai Star Rail, held my attention a willing hostage; generic chibi wares have a hard time registering a bleep on the radar of a convention veteran like myself but this - this - was something else.

One of the defining features of Allen's work is her masterful use of colour. Her palette is a symphony of hues that dance across the canvas, creating a visual feast for the eyes. The colours she employs are not just visually appealing; they resonate with emotion, drawing you into the world of her creations.

This extends into the backdrop/ background. Whether it's the fiery intensity of battle or the tender embrace of friendship, her pieces tell stories through every carefully chosen shade. Allen has mastered it with incredible finesse. There is this sense of completeness in her fanart - the intricate details, and the unmistakable "kawaii" charm - a window into a world brimming with adventure, mystery, and heartwarming moments.

But wait, there’s more.

She crafts original characters from everyday objects like pendants and scissors, each brimming with personality and life, from lovable heroes with endearing quirks to captivating villains with a hint of darkness.

So, eager to spend my coin, I reached out to her.

Ed: I did a fair bit of stalking and realised that your first time in Singapore was last year's Anime Festival Asia (AFA). What was the experience like and any encounter/incident that really left an impression on you (e.g swarms of GI cosers paying homage to your wares)?
Allen: Yes! AFA was my very first Singapore convention and I had such a blast to be honest! It was very busy and also tiring even during the end of the pandemic. I met so many fellow artists and made friends with them, everyone was very helpful and sweet. I manage to get myself a Valiant Force artbook by accident because the people working for the booth just happen to pass by my booth walking around with it and It was seriously a pleasant surprise especially since I've been in love with their design and art for quite a while.I also saw 2 people who went for anime New York Comicon where I was boothing as well before going to AFA and we both were surprised to see each other in AFA as well. These encounters make it a memorable event for me!


Ed: I'm a Magic the Gathering player and WoTC has been expanding their stable of artists. In recent years, their art direction has also moved to include Japanese artists and anime re-imaginings of previous cards. When I see your work with Fabled Sagas, I cannot help but think that your designs will easily find a fan base. And to be brutally honest, I think you can probably come up with better card art. So here's two questions: What is your favourite card design for Fabled Saga and why? If you have the opportunity to do something for MtG, which card would it be?
Allen: I am fairly new to the TCG world as Fabled Sagas is the first card game I have worked with and I am very blessed for the opportunity. I came to know a few other card games and Magic the Gathering is one that I've heard of. I definitely still have a lot of room to improve and hopefully I can create better art for more cards I do in the future.

My favourite card design would be Dreamsweeper: Carmine.

I rarely get a chance to do male design and I really like how Carmine turned out! I am also a healthy woman who likes to refresh her eyes with some eye candy once in a while . Aside from that, I do like a design where there is a companion to the character so there is always a story behind the relationship to the character and the companion. Same as False Ashes of Rimesoul - not only she has a companion but she was also my first card design for the game so it holds a special place in my heart.

MtG has a lot of beautiful cards so it's fairly hard to choose. I am open to any card type and characters to challenge myself. Sneak Attack captured my eyes when I saw the card and really like how it is composed.


Ed: I also noticed that you do original character designs. I like all the ones with animals (CATS!) and especially this. Would you be open to doing sketch commissions on site, and if so, what are your rates?
Allen: Thank you for liking my original designs. I unfortunately would not be doing any commission on site, since from my past experiences, it is hard to juggle between paying attention and being attentive to customers at the booth with commissioning so I have decided not to do so anymore. I do take commission outside of convention and rates will differ depending on the needs of the client.

Ed: Important information I would like to get out there is the merch you would be bringing. So other than the stock inventory of 9x9 prints, 11x7 prints, artbook, passholders, will you be bringing any of the layered acrylics (e.g Endwalker) or wooden stack keychains to SGCC?
Allen: I will be bringing the con exclusive layered acrylics and also the wooden stacked keychains as well! They’ll be available for SGCC 2023.

The gorgeous Imbibitor Lunae above may be available at SGCC in limited quantities and it should give you a good idea of how beautiful the con exclusives are going to be.


Keep an eye out for Allen Erie at SGCC 2023 [Booth B2-AA20]. If you miss this opportunity, there’s always the merch store but you’re going to kick yourself really hard.

----------------------------

Follow Allen Erie on her social media:

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/allenerie.artscrap
Twitter: https://twitter.com/allenerie
Tiktok: https://www.tiktok.com/@Allenerie
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allenerie.art
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/allenerie
Pixiv: https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/3011690
Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/alleneriear

----------------------------

RELATED SINGAPORE COMIC CON (SGCC) 2023 ARTICLES

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 Artist Highlight - Nathelie Yong's Emo Trash & Etc! Is A 90's Pop-Punk Music Fan's Dream Booth

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 Booth Highlight - Hailing All Transformer Fans To Hasbro's Cybertron Fest

Singapore Comic Con (SGC)) 2023 Artist Highlight - Stay Cool and Cheery With Ven Wong's Adorable Cubemelt

Singapore Comic Con (SG)CC) 2023 Artist Highlight - Collect 'Em All From Pokémon Fanart Illustrators Abz Art and Trainer K

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 Artist Highlight - Wonder At Takahan Tan's Captivating Toy Photography

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 - Legendary Comic Book Creators Stan Sakai and Julie Sakai Are Heading To Singapore!

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 - Comic Book Guests Galore Including Peach Momoko, Chang Sheng, Martin Simmonds, Ario Anindito and More!

Singapore Comic Con 2023 (SGCC) - Tickets Are Available Right Now!


----------------------------

If you enjoy Red Dot Diva's content, feel free to help her efforts going by showing your support through ko-fi. Thank you!




No comments:

Post a Comment