Sunday, November 19, 2023

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 Artist Highlight - Wonder At Takahan Tan's Captivating Toy Photography


Stroll down the Artist Alley section of Singapore Comic Convention (SGCC), and you will spot talented artists, crafters, designers, comic book creators and toy photographers. This year, events planner and visual artist Takahan Tan, will be at the pop-culture convention showing off his toy photography. His photos - most of them consisting of Funko toys - have such a cinematic style and uses the Red Dot Island landscape to great effect. So, it is not surprising that his works have captured the attention of personalities such as directors David Ayer (Suicide Squad), David F Sandberg (Shazam), film set still photographer Clay Enos, production designer and art director Bill Brzeski, actor Ray Porter, and yes, even prominent producer-director Zack Sydner.

In this interview, Red Dot Diva chats with Takahan to learn more about his craft. She was also happy to know that he is a fellow DC Comics fan!


Red Dot Diva: When and how did you start doing toy photography actively?
Takahan: I started toy photography around year 2017, Originally it was meant to be a walking programme to keep fit. I walked about 8km a day, and in order to make it fun, I brought my toys along and took various photos of it. I did not really take it seriously until one day, one of my photos got a lot of attention and likes on social media.

Red Dot Diva: I see you love the DCU. What is it about DC Comics and their IP that makes you a hardcore fan? 
Takahan: I think it is the story and the character. I like Superman a lot. He is always in control of his emotions. When I was younger, there were times I felt like punching some guy, but I will think of Superman, and I decided to be like Superman and not let my emotions control me.

Red Dot Diva: How did you get featured at DC Fandom with mentions by Jim Lee?
Takahan: There was an international DC fanart competition where Jim Lee would choose the winner and feature the winners during DC Fandome. I took part in it and won the competition.

Red Dot Diva: What is your process like, from idea to setting up shots of the final image?
Takahan: I will think of the concept first, and after which I would look for the toys I require for the shot. The next thing to do is scouting for a site, taking the shot and do my post processing at Tiong Bahru Plaza's McDonald's. (Yes, McDonald's is where I chill and do my post processing work).

Red Dot Diva: You do a lot of outdoor shoots. What was the trickiest shot that you’ve done outdoors? And why?
Takahan: I think the trickiest shot I did was a Supergirl shot at the Umeda Sky Building Floating Garden in Osaka, Japan. The winds were very strong and the clouds were constantly moving. Hence the lighting and shadows are constantly changing because of the moving clouds. It is almost impossible to set the exposure of my camera. With the strong winds, I had to battle the freezing temperature and ensure that my toys does not get blown away.

Red Dot Diva: Can you give us any tips on how to make a toy photo shoot look cinematic?
Takahan: Have no fear of cropping your photo.

Red Dot Diva: Please let us know what we can look out for at your booth at the upcoming SGCC.
Takahan: Official book launch of my photobook which took me 5 years to prepare, and lots of photos of lesser known DC character s such as Space Cabbie, Kamandi, members of Justice League Dark.


Do you love toy photography and want to learn more about what it takes to get started? Check out The Film Language of Takahan's booth at L1-B09!


----------------------------

RELATED SINGAPORE COMIC CON (SGCC) 2023 ARTICLES

Singapore Comic Con 2023 Artist Highlight - Stay Cool and Cheery With Ven Wong's Adorable Cubemelt

Singapore Comic Con 2023 - Collect 'Em All From Pokémon Fanart Illustrators Abz Art and Trainer K

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 Artist Highlight - Discovering Artistry: Allen Erie (Andrea Rosaline)

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 - Legendary Comic Book Creators Stan Sakai and Julie Sakai Are Heading To Singapore!

Singapore Comic Con (SGCC) 2023 - Comic Book Guests Galore Including Peach Momoko, Chang Sheng, Martin Simmonds, Ario Anindito and More!

Singapore Comic Con 2023 (SGCC) - Tickets Are Available Right Now!


----------------------------

If you enjoy Red Dot Diva's content, feel free to help her efforts going by showing your support through ko-fi. Thank you!




No comments:

Post a Comment